July 2017: Your Checklist for Success
Upcoming - For Girls, Troops, and Families
Troops and Girl Scout families can view and register for events around the council from the Events Calendar on our website. You can also find program kits and field trips online!
Be sure to check out upcoming programs near you:
- Gimme S’more Mud Run – Public registration is OPEN NOW for the Gimme S’more Mud Run on September 23 at Camp Sacajawea! Head over to smoremudrun.com to register for the muddiest obstacle race in Iowa.
- There’s Still Time to Register for Summer Camp! Summer camp season is here, but we still have openings at awesome sessions at both camp locations. Encourage parents to register their Girl Scout for their best summer ever at camp!
Join Us for a Zombie Bash!
- All girls who renewed during Early Bird get FREE admission to one of our Zombie Bashes happening across the council!
- Didn’t renew during Early Bird? Girls can still join in on the fun if they register for the 2018 membership year and then register for their Zombie Bash for a $5 admission fee.
- What zombie fun will be happening at these events? Girls will learn how to apply fun zombie makeup and do hands-only CPR. We’ll also do a sensory bead STEM activity, and learn about what the various parts of blood. Then we’ll make a paracord survival bracelet for emergencies. Making a fire is an important survival skill too – we’ll build a fire with an edible twist. The day will end with a group game of Zombie Survival. Don’t miss the fun!
Circle of Success
We’ve added another date for Circle of Success this summer in Oskaloosa! Also, be sure to check out the session descriptions on each event’s page on the website. We listened to your feedback and are doing two longer breakout sessions to give you more time to learn and collaborate.
Mud Run Volunteers Needed!
We need your help at the Gimme S’more Mud Run on September 23! We couldn’t put on this exciting event without the help of our awesome volunteers. From staffing the registration tables, to helping runners stay hydrated and find their way, we have volunteer positions for everyone. Interested? Fill out our simple form at smoremudrun.com under “Get Involved.”
New and Improved Bridge – Coming Soon!
We’ve listened to your feedback, and are making some awesome updates to gsgibridge.com! In late July, we’ll be updating the Bridge to truly make it an easy, searchable one-stop-shop for Girl Scout volunteers. Don’t worry, all your favorite content will still be there, and the web address will remain gsgibridge.com.
Building Girl Scouts
Money Earning Projects
Summer is a time when many troops do money earning projects to fund a service project or plan a trip! Before you start your project, be sure to check out the helpful guidelines and fill out the Money Earning Project Application at girlscoutsiowa.org/moneyearning!
Your Girl Scout Shop
Made in the USA Badge Price Update
Girl Scouts of the USA has committed to produce uniforms and other items in the United States as much as possible, and to reduce its carbon footprint. As part of this commitment, beginning in July 2017, Daisy, Brownie, Junior, and Cadette badge production will take place in the United States. Due to higher production costs in the U.S., the price for the earned badges for Daisy, Brownie, Junior, and Cadette levels will be $3, effective July 1. Learn more about the change and an in-store only badge sale through August 31 in our news story (also found at the bottom of our website’s homepage).
New Shop Hours
Effective July 31, we’re updating our shop hours based on your feedback! Each Leadership Center will be open until 6pm one night per week, and select Super Saturdays will feature shops open from 9am to 1pm. Learn more on our Hours and Locations page.