Troop and Service Unit Activities
In addition to Girl Scout troop meetings, we know troops and service units love to get together for special activities! Here's your handy guide to planning adventures for your group:
Planning an outing with your troop or service unit?
If you're planning an event that falls into one of these categories, an application for activity approval is required before you start your journey:
- Your troop or group will be away for three or more nights.
- You'll be riding horses.
- You'll be doing water activities, or swimming at a location without a staff lifeguard.
If your trip doesn't fall into any of these categories, be sure to still follow steps 1 through 3 to plan your activity or event!
- First things first! For each girl in your troop, be sure you have collected a completed Troop Activities Year Round Permission Form and Girl Information Form. Collect this form from all girls in the troop at the beginning of the year, and keep it on file for your records.
- Next, download the Event/Activity/Trip Checklist for all of your planning steps. Whether you're going on an afternoon outing or a week-long camping trip, this document will explain everything you need to do, including any forms that need to be turned in to the council.
- Be sure to check Safety Activity Checkpoints for all activities -- this document will help you gather the resources and permissions you need to have a safe and fun event.
- Communication is key – be sure to communicate with parents about your troop’s plans for an event or activity away from your normal meeting place.
- Turn in any required forms:
- Staying somewhere for one or more nights? Be sure to submit the Overnight/Trip Application!
- Planning to ride horses? Fill out the Horseback Riding Activity Application.
- Participating in a water activity or swimming at a location without staff lifeguards? Be sure to submit the or Swimming/Water Activity Application.
- For activities lasting 3 nights or more, or where non-Girl Scout members will be participating, submit the Plan 2 Enrollment Form for additional insurance.
- The fine print: All Girl Scout members are covered under Girl Scout activity insurance. This insurance provides up to a specified maximum for medical expenses incurred as a result of an accident while a member is participating in an approved, supervised Girl Scout activity, after the individual’s primary insurance pays out.
Is your service unit or troop planning a fun event that you would like to invite all Girl Scouts to attend?
- Submit the Event Listing Request Form four weeks prior to your event to have it listed on our online calendar and open for online registration.
- Girls will be able to use Munch Money, Cookie Dough, or Troop Credits for troop and service unit events that are open to members from across the council!
Looking for something special for your troop to do?
- Check out our Field Trips! We’ve set up opportunities with organizations across the council that will provide a special experience for your troop or group! Contact field trip sites directly to arrange a visit.