How to Hold a Fantastic First Parent Meeting!
You’re registered, you’re trained, and now you’re ready to hold your first troop/parent meeting! We know it can be scary starting something new, so we’re here to help.
Here's a sample agenda for the first time you meet with the parents/guardians of your excited new Girl Scouts - having things written out can help things go super smoothly.
You can download a printable version of the agenda, too!
Girl Scout Parent Meeting Agenda
Be sure to reserve meeting space; use your troop roster to invite all parents/guardians.
Welcome & Introductions:
- Have each adult share their name and what they hope their daughter will get out of Girl Scouting.
- Leader(s) also share what they hope the troop will gain from the year.
Brief Overview of Girl Scouts
- Mission: To build girls of courage, confidence and character who make the world a better place
- Girl led (decision-making and planning), Hands-on (active not passive), and Collaborative (girls feel safer to try new things in collaborative team-based environments)
- Girl Scout of Greater Iowa is our local council - girlscoutsiowa.org
Girl Scout Troop Specifics
- Meeting time, day frequency and locations
- Dues (how much, how often)
- Financial assistance available
- Uniforms (will the girls wear a sash or vest, or choose for themselves?)
- Participating in the Fall Product and Cookie Programs – helps girls learn budgeting and business skills, plus helps the troop pay activities, costs for camps, training, and other resources.
We <3 Our Troop Parents
- Building a Troop Committee – Share the list of jobs, get volunteers to join in on the fun!
- Adult membership registration (annual fee or lifetime membership) and background check required for all participating adults
- Snack Coordination?
- Troop Supply needs (wish list for a troop supply box)
- Pick-up Etiquette – Please provide transportation to and from meetings in a timely manner (e.g. within 5-10 minutes after ending of meeting)
Forms & Actions to Take
- Girl Health Information Form
- Girl Membership Registration online (annual fee)
Activities with Girls (if they are present) – If possible, bring an outside group in to help with girls while you’re meeting with parents!
- Fun activities while adults meet
- Brainstorming activity ideas
Reminder of next meeting date and goodbyes!