Girl Scout Insurance

Every registered Girl Scout is covered by a basic accident insurance plan. The plan is designed to help pay medical expenses if an accident occurs during a supervised Girl Scout activity. Additional insurance options are available for travel, events lasting more than 2 nights, and activities where non-members will be present.

Here's a breakdown of the different insurance plans and when you may need them!

Additional Insurance Options

To purchase additional insurance, download the enrollment form for the plan you need for your activity or trip.

The form must be submitted with a check payable to “United of Omaha Life Insurance Company” to any Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa Leadership Center, or mailed to: Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa, 10715 Hickman Road, Des Moines, IA 50325.

The minimum payment for additional insurance is $5. You may submit multiple events and/or enrollment forms with one payment.

How to File a Claim

If an injury occurs during a troop or service unit trip or activity, the volunteer should complete the Leader Statement portion (lower half) of Girl Scouts of the USA Insurance Claim Form and give the entire form to the Girl Scout parent.

Treatment must occur within 30 days of the accident date. The parent completes the Claimant Information portion (top half) of the Girl Scouts of the USA Insurance Claim Form, attaches copies of the attending physicians treatment form, and submits the entire form to the Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa, Attention: Finance Department, to complete the Council Use section. Once a claim has been validated it will be forwarded to Mutual of Omaha for processing. Claims will not be processed without council validation.

Completed claim form MUST be submitted to the council office as soon as possible or within 30 days. Claims submitted after 30 days may not be eligible for processing. Additional bills received after the initial treatment should be forwarded to your nearest leadership center as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact us at, or (800) 342-8389.

Need a Certificate of Liability Insurance?

When you are arranging activities for your troop or service unit, facilities or organizations may request liability insurance coverage (or a Certificate of Insurance) to show proof that you have coverage through GSGI. We will provide a certificate of insurance to facilities being used for Girl Scout purposes upon request.

To request a certificate of insurance, email us at, including the facility name and address, and facility contact person. Please allow 5 business days for us to address your request.

Have any questions about all things insurance? Give us a call at 800-342-8389 -- we have you covered!